City of East Sarajevo is an administrative, economic, cultural, university, tourist and sports center. It’s territory of around 2 200 square kilometers is in the area of the municipality of: Pale, Sokolac, East Ilidza, East Stari Grad, East Novo Sarajevo and Trnovo, where lives approximately 90 000 people. The city headquarter is in Pale.
Many signs indicate that it in the now days territory of East Sarajevo, man has been present since ancient times. On Glasnicka plateau between mountains of Kopita and Romanija are archaeological excavations including exhibits from more than 2,000 graves in the shape of the stone pile and 3,000 stecaks – tombstones, which testifies of existing two civilizations before Christ.
Illyrians and the Romans had left evidence of their presence in the region of Pale, Rogatica, Bulog and other places. In the Middle Ages, during empire of Tvrtko Kotromanić (1353. - 1391.god.) Stari Grad (old town) above Pale’s river Miljacka belonged to the noble family of Pavlović, who ruled the eastern Bosnia. The fortified town Borač, ten kilometers south of Rogatica was also a significant political, economic and cultural center where the Pavlovićs issued Charters, receipt the messengers and had a permanent troupe of actors and musicians.
In the first half of the 15th century these lands were conquered by the Turks, and according to saga the name Pale it’s self is associated with these winnings, of the mentioned Stari Grad. The Turks resorted to trickery, ignited a fire around the city, created the impression that there are much more of them, and the defenders surrendered without a fight. The fortified town in the area of present-day Sarajevo, is first mentioned in 1379th year. It’s name was repeatedly changed and it flourished by the name of Sarajevo, as one of the most important commercial centers of the Balkans. The settling of this area had been intensified after the Berlin congress in 1878. (when the Austro-Hungarian was given a mandate to occupy Bosnia and Herzegovina), especially after the construction of the railway Sarajevo – Visegrad, in the year 1901.
Symbols of the town
City of East Sarajevo has its own emblem, flag and saint patron. The base of the emblem makes a red shield with a cross that separates it into four parts. The blue and silver colors are crossed, which with color of the shield depict the colors of the national flag. The first and the fourth part is a white double-headed eagle - the ancient Serbian coat of arms, and in the second and the third is shows the golden city with three towers, reminiscent of the medieval Serbian princes Pavlovic’s coat of arms. Above the shield is a golden bulwark crown with four merlons and golden diadem, which testifies that this is a historic capital city. Right guard of the shield is Archangel Mihailo, and the left one is Archangel Gavrilo. Next to the guard are black, gold plated spears with flags of the Republic of Srpska and East Sarajevo. The flag of East Sarajevo is red with blue and silver-cross split cross from end to end.